Colombo, Sri Lanka Travel Guide: Top Things to Do and See in Colombo
Sri Lanka’s port city Colombo is a contrast of fascinating modern and colonial attractions. It has been the commercial hub of the island for many centuries. Tourists almost never miss this capital as it’s the ultimate place for delicious Sri Lankan cuisine and shopping. Here are some interesting things you can see and do in Colombo to make your tour unforgettable!
What to See
- The National Museum which is the largest in Sri Lanka is undoubtedly the perfect place to learn about the island’s rich heritage.
- The historical Beira Lake located in the heart of Colombo is a picturesque sight that you can visit to have a relaxing and a fun time.
- Explore the colonial remnants by visiting the Colombo Dutch Museum, Old Colombo Dutch Hospital, and the Galle Face Hotel.
- If you want to gain an insight into the famous Buddhist heritage, Gangarama Temple would be the ideal place. It has a magnificent collection of Buddha statues and other historical carvings.
What to Do
- Pamper yourself with a luxurious Ayurvedic Spa and a body massage at Spa Ceylon for a soothing experience.
- If you are looking for convenient and cheap rides in Colombo, Tuk-tuks are perfect as they are very easy to find. Even if you are not, get into a ride for the mere fun and unique experience.
- Galle Face Green is a place that’s equally famous among foreign and local tourists. It is ideal to spend a relaxed evening on the beach and observe the beautiful sunset.
- Visit the chaotic Pettah, the market for all kinds of goodies, and watch how its streets bustle with life even under the scorching sun. It can be an overwhelming sight but is also an authentic Sri Lankan experience.
What to eat
- A tour in Colombo won’t be perfect until you try the seafood delicacies offered by Ministry of Crab restaurant in the Old Dutch Hospital. It’s the best you can get in Sri Lanka and you will surely crave for more!
- If you want to treat yourself with an authentic Sri Lankan meal, head to Nuga Gama at Cinnamon Grand Colombo.
- If you want to dine in a relaxed and a romantic ambiance with your special someone, go to Sky Lounge at The Kingsbury.
- Nana’s Restaurant in Galle Face Green is ideal for anyone looking for a cheap and good place to eat.
- Sugar Bistro and Wine Bar are where lots of tourists head for great booze and dishes from around the world.
- Don’t forget to try the local specialties available along the streets like Isso Wade, Kothu Roti, and Acharu.
Where to shop
- Barefoot has a fascinating collection of handloom products ranging from traditional sarees to table mats.
- If you want to purchase Sri Lankan handicrafts as souvenirs, head to Laksala gift shop. Many of these are made from eco-friendly raw materials like hay, coconut shells etc.
- The Old Dutch Hospital invites anyone who is up for some fine shopping and a luxurious meal afterward. You will find the gist of Sri Lankan products here.
- Colombo’s central shopping mall; Majestic City located in Galle Road has a cinema theatre, food court, clothing stores and a range of other products. It’s a one-stop shop for all kinds of needs.
- Visit Buddhi Batiks for an amazing collection of designer Batik dresses and materials.