Let's travel to: Madrid, Spain
This city’s energy, passion, and cultural diversity will keep you coming back for more
What To Do
- Take a stroll down Gran Via
- Visit the Royal Palace of Madrid
- Go boating in Retiro park – go on the weekdays and pay less!
- Immerse yourself in art at the Prado, the Reina Sofia, and the Thyssen-Bornemisza
- Hit up the San Miguel food market and try everything!
- Visit El Rastro flea market on Sundays to buy rings, leather, and more
- Take a free walking tour and learn about the history of Spain’s capital city
- Watch a football game at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium or with the locals at a neighbourhood bar
- Go shopping on Fuencarral or between Plaza Callao and Plaza del Sol
- Visit Temple de Bod for a gorgeous view of the sunset
- Another sunset option – catch the sunset at The Tartan, one of Madrid’s rooftop bars, on top of Círculo de Bellas Artes
- Go clubbing at Kapital, the 7 floor "discoteque". Don’t forget to check out the Bacardi floor for the most delicious mojitos!
- Take a picture with the symbol of Madrid, ‘El Oso y el Madrono’ or ‘The Bear and the Strawberry Tree’ – also keep your eyes peeled in the city for glimpses of this symbol everywhere!
- Use the metro to get to and from the airport
- The Prado, the Reina Sofia, and the Thyssen-Bornemisza all have free entrance times during the week – do your research and save a few euros
What To Eat
- Casa Lucas – Get the Cannelloni!
- La Gabinoteca
- Grab a café con leche at Toma Café
- Head to San Ginés for its famous churros
- Drink lots and lots of Sangria
- Restaurant Botin is the oldest restaurant that is still running to date in the world (according to the Guinness World Record)
- Eat lots of paella, jamon, ham croquettes, and patatas bravas
List by: Jasmine Xiao
I am a Torontonian who is always up for a good adventure, be it across the ocean or close to home. My travels are usually fueled by a pursuit for good food and the best views. When I’m not on the road, you can usually find me trying new restaurants, binge watching something on Netflix, or sleeping past my alarm clock.
Check out my ordinary life on Instagram: @jasminexiao